Thursday, May 29, 2008

Greater is He in Me

I am worn out- tired of being told I don’t add up, I’m not good enough, pretty enough, skinny enough, strong enough, smart enough, tall enough, funny enough, tan enough, talented enough, successful enough, rich enough, happy enough, or famous enough.

Each and every moment I am inundated by lies through the things I read, watch, or hear. Some people have the ability ignore the constant attack, I however, cannot. I would like to stand firm in the belief that my identity exists somewhere beyond the value system of our culture, but it’s hard to resist the temptation to be something else- something better even. I have bought into everything they say - Fix this, try that, change this, wear that, pluck this, dye that, say this, watch that, do this, eat that!

It’s all so exhausting trying to keep up with all their demands; trying to have the latest, the best, the nicest, the most expensive and the most up-to-date. Not only do all these things take money and constant energy I do not have, but it also affects my confidence, leading me to somehow believe that without it all, I am less of a person. Feeling as though I need more, and want more, I become blinded by excess, always striving, always consuming, always dissatisfied, always discontent.

A disease plagues my heart- it’s bent on my destruction- and yours; for no one is immune.

There is One however, who holds a key to my liberation; One whose strength gives me the bravery to fight for the true life! The life that is waiting to come bursting forth from somewhere deep within.

I need not look any further, than into the face of true love, true identity, true joy, true passion, true riches, true happiness, true life, true fulfillment, and true beauty. When I look at His radiant and pure face, I see a reflection of His splendor that says- “stop searching, you already possess that which you seek, embrace and live!!”

No comments: