Monday, January 18, 2010

Love for Haiti Part 2


This photo belongs to the Livesay family and was copied from their blog (http://livesayhaiti.blogspot.com/)

The widespread pain and suffering is still overwhelmingly rampant in the small country of Haiti. At this point, we have already heard heartbreaking stories of the number of Haitian orphans increasing from around 50,000 to nearly 1 million (potentially more), the wounded left unatteneded dying from infection and lack of care, and the possibility of approximately 300-500,000 people dead. I have been following the blog of a missionary family in Haiti (http://livesayhaiti.blogspot.com/), updates from another missionary, Kathleen Willet (http://willetonline.com/), updates from my friend Sammy about the orphanage they partner with, updates from my friend Kelsey about Pam, as well as, updates from many organizations like Samaritan's Purse, Billy Graham Evangelical Association, Food for the Hungry, Water is Life, and Bluesource. I keep hearing stories of death and despair, but also stories of hope and relief pouring into the country on behalf of the beloved Haitians.

All I know is that this situation requires our prayers, our financial generosity, and our voice. We are called to weep with those who weep and bear the burdens of others. Yesterday, I witnessed an astounding display of God's great love for Haiti at my homechurch; Bridgeway in Oklahoma City. We had decided to raise money for relief efforts. After the offering was counted, our small church gave extravagently, raising over $12,000! I feel so blessed to be a part of a community who gives with such generosity and with sacrifice! Our Pastor, Sam Storms decided to change his message to reflect on the situation in Haiti and God's loving heart for the people there. We experienced an emotional time of worship led by my amazingly compassionate friends Ryan Smith and Emery Clark. Afterwards, Ryan and I shared about our past experiences. Ryan shared about his time in Turkey during the 1999 earthquake, as well as more information about the hygiene kits that will be sent to Haiti for long-term relief. After Ryan spoke, I was able to share a little bit about my experience in Indonesia after the earthquake and Tsunami in December of 2005. Recalling some of my experiences from that trip, has reminded me of the great devestation and need I witnessed. It has again reminded me of the brevity and fragility of this life. It has reminded me of the things that truly matter, and because I have been given so much and blessed beyond words, I have a responsibility to give back to others. I don't want to be remembered as pursuing the things that only bring me happiness, fullfilment or even sucess, I want my life to be about service to others, giving what I can, while I have breath in my lungs.

When I was in Banda Aceh Indonesia I was struck by the number of mass graves I saw. It broke my heart to know that many families will never know where their love ones are buried or where they were when they died. I witnessed building after building that had crumbled to pieces, and entire villages that were virtually wiped out. I visited several tent cities, temporarily housing thousands, with limited water, and poor sanitation. We set up medical clinics and treated people in tent cities, while also playing with very sad and frightened children. On a positive note, I also recall stories of people who came to faith in Jesus and people who had found hope to carry on. Although no one could change their circumstances, they found strength, hope and peace admist great suffering!

I pray for restoration of Haiti. I pray that God will restore the naiton to a condition that is even better than where it was before the earthquake struck. I pray His peace, provision, hope, care, love and relief will come to those desperate people, even as I write this. I pray He will equip all those who are already on the ground providing assistance. God's love for the Haitian's is unfailing, abiding and unshakable. His love will sustain them through the darkest nights of their souls.

I will leave you with these beautifully, eloquent words of theologian AL Mohler...
"...the earthquake reminds us that the Gospel of Jesus Christ in the only real message of hope. The cross of Christ declares that Jesus loves Haiti--and the Haitian people are the object of his love. Christ would have us show the Haitian nation His love, and share His Gospel. In the midst of this unspeakable tragedy, CHrist would have us rush to aid the suffering people of Haiti, and rush to tell teh Haitian people of His love, His cross, and salvation in His name alone."

Thank you for all the ways you have already helped- may God increase our efforts and giving a thousand-fold!

I will keep you posted, but I hope to plan atleast one if not two other benefits to raise money for Haiti. I just spoke with a friend today who has agreed to instruct a Zumba-thon for Haiti! Pray that we can pull everything together in time!

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I love your heart.