Wednesday, January 13, 2010

LOVE FOR HAITI


Today has just been one of those days that I have literally been feeling the weight and brokenness of the world. I have been in tears all day for the situation and the people of Haiti. I am thankful for my gift of compassion that the Lord has entrusted me with. It's during times like these as I feel my heart breaking, that I believe I am able to catch a glimpse of the Father's heart for those who suffer. It is painful, but it brings me back to a place of total reliance and trust in Him; the only true source of hope and peace on this earth. Many matters of this life, seem to pail in comparison, when something like this happens. For some it may be easy to turn a blind eye and go on with life, but it is practically impossible for me, regardless of how far away a tragedy may be taking place. Even though, I have never personally been to Haiti, I feel strongly connected because of friends and former colleagues who have gone or are currently living there.

My friend Jeremy Willett, has been waiting since Tuesday to hear from his wife Kat, who is a missionary in Haiti. I can't imagine what it must be like for my friend who is touring with his band in New Zealand and waiting to hear whether or not his beloved wife is safe. Another friend, Sammy Adebiyi just returned from Haiti on Sunday with his wife and a few college students. Sammy and his wife have traveled to the impoverished country several times over the years. They have worked closely with an orphanage there and have since fell in love with a young orphan named Bebe, whom they have been trying to adopt. Sammy and his team are still awaiting word on the fate of the children and the staff at the orphanage. Many of the organizations I have worked with over the years, such as, Samaritan's Purse, Food for the Hungry, and OneHope have teams stationed in Port-Au-Prince (where the most damaged occurred), or around the island, and again, wait to hear about the safety of their friends and family members. Many of these organizations are already mobilizing and sending teams to help with the relief efforts on the ground. They are sending water purification systems, hygiene kits, temporary supplies for shelters, food, and medical supplies. They are also working with their local partners to try and provide immediate care for the masses that are suffering and needing care. Food for the Hungry is working with their partners to assess the situation and figure out the best course of action. My friend Ryan Smith works for BluSource and is collecting money to assemble and send hygiene kits. For $3.50 you can purchase a kit to help meet immediate needs. Compassion is present, as is World Vision, Hands and Feet, Oxfam, RedCross and so many others. Please, please I beg of you, consider giving financially to any of these well trusted and very reputable organizations. I will list just a few links below you can visit and find out more and give.

http://www.samaritanspurse.com/

http://www.fh.org/

http://www.willetonline.com/

http://www.blusource.com/

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=262686972768&ref=mf (the facebook group where you can give specifically to the orphanage Sammy works with)

Feel free to check out the work of OneHope and Compassion, World Vision and others as well.

Also, please remember to keep praying. Even when we feel helpless, we can intercede on behalf of the people there.

"THE LORD IS NEAR TO THE BROKENHEARTED AND SAVES THOSE WHO ARE CRUSHED IN SPIRIT." PSALM 34:18

I was listening to a David Crowder song today called, Never Let Go and I believe some of the lyrics are incredibly appropriate...

When clouds veil sun
And disaster comes
Oh, my soul
Oh, my soul
When waters rise
And hope takes flight
Oh, my soul
Oh, my soul
Oh, my soul

Ever faithful
Ever true
You I know
You never let go
You never let go
You never let go
You never let go.


Also, I found these lyrics from God of This City by Chris Tomlin

You're the God of this City
You're the King of these people
You're the Lord of this nation
You are

You're the Light in this darkness
You're the Hope to the hopeless
You're the Peace to the restless
You are

May the peace of our Lord surround those suffering in Haiti.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting, I really appreciate you sharing your heart. I too have been blessed with the gift of compassion, though at times am not sure what to do with it. I am broken and cannot stop the tears, but your words have encouraged me to do what I can and for that I am thankful. Keep on doing the work God has put on your heart and I will push forward as well. Thanks, once again!